Beef Spinach Stew
Recipe from Lavinia Todor
2 lbs beef roast, cut into 1″ cubes
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
3 cups vegetable (or chicken) broth, low sodium
2 cups spinach (or greens like swiss chard)
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen (optional)
1 tbsp olive oil,
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch
8 garlic cloves, minced
3 bay leaves
1 cup rice (or quinoa), uncooked
2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove, crushed)
1/3 cup dill or parsley, chopped
MAKE IT HAPPEN:
- Preheat skillet on medium heat and coat with oil. Add onion and carrots, cook for a few minutes. Set aside in a bowl.
- Return skillet to medium - high heat and add beef and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until golden brown. If your meat releases a lot of juices, increase heat and let it cook off or drain. Watch closely not to burn.
- In a medium bowl whisk together broth and cornstarch, pour over meat. Add spinach and previously cooked onion and carrots, garlic, bay leaves and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook rice (or quinoa) as per package instructions.
- When meat is done, discard bay leaves and add garlic powder or freshly crushed garlic.
- Add cooked rice (or quinoa), peas if using and fresh herbs, gently stir and serve warm.