Oven Roasted Chickpeas
Recipe from Lavinia Todor
These sweet or savoury chickpeas make the perfect high-energy snack! They also make a great salad topper for a little added flavour and crunch. A great alternative for nuts.
1 can chickpeas
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp salt
*Other spice combinations below.
MAKE IT HAPPEN:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. On a towel pat chickpeas dry, and let them air dry until most of the excess moisture is absorbed. The drier the chickpeas, the crunchier they will be.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper spread chickpeas out .
- Place chickpeas into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Using a large spoon, mix the beans around to make sure they are all evenly coated (they are flavourless if not thoroughly coated). Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle over chickpeas. Mix around very well to coat each bean. Add more seasoning if you’d like.
- Place back into the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Enjoy hot, or room temperature.
- Store in an air-tight container.
*Other flavour combos!
- 1 tsp cinnamon- a pinch nutmeg- ¼ tsp sea salt- 2 tbsp honey
Smoky Spice Blend
- ½ tsp chili powder- ½ tsp smoked paprika- ½ tsp garlic powder- ½ tsp cumin- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper- ½ tsp sea salt- pinch cayenne (optional)
- ¼ cup maple syrup - 1tbs paprika- ¼ tsp cayenne- 1tsp chili powder- 2 tsp salt - 2 tbs olive oil
- 1tsp minced onion- ½ tsp dry thyme- 1 tsp dry dill- ½ tsp garlic powder- ½ tsp pepper -2 tsp salt -2 tbs olive oil