Recipe from Lavinia
Burrito Spaghetti Squash
2 medium spaghetti squash
1 lb. ground turkey
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 sweet bell peppers, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup cheese, shredded
14 oz. red kidney or black bean beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. diced canned chilies or jalapeños (or to taste)
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped + more for garnish
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Greek yogurt (or sour cream for serving)
1 avocado, cubed (for serving)
MAKE IT HAPPEN
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cut squash in half and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add beans, chili powder, jalapeños, tomato sauce, cilantro and stir.
- Remove vegetable mixture to a bowl. Keep warm.
- Cook turkey until thoroughly cooked through. Combine with vegetable mixture. Remove from heat and add some of the cheese (optional) and stir. Set aside.
- Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into a bowl. Combine spaghetti squash strands with meat and vegetable mixture.
- Place it all in a oven friendly dish or fill each “boat” with 1/4 of the vegetable and meat mixture and top evenly with cheese (optional).
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes. Turn the broiler to high and broil, until the cheese starts to brown, about 2 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with extra cilantro, avocado cubes and Greek yogurt. Enjoy!