Potato Crust Arugula Pesto Pizza
Curb your pub-food craving with this Shred-friendly twist on everyone’s favourite food!
You’ll have to go through a little extra work to make this delicious potato-crust pizza but it’s oh-so worth it, for a meal that will nix pizza AND chip cravings!
You’ll need a round pizza pan (the kind with the little holes in the bottom) for the best results.
Make it happen:
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Use a mandolin or a sharp chef’s knife to thinly slice potatoes of your choice. Sweet potatoes work, too! Number of potatoes depends on the size of your pan and your potatoes, you’ll probably need about 3-4.
- In a large bowl, toss your potato slices with:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 beaten egg
- 1.5 tsp herbes de provence
- salt and pepper
- Arrange your potatoes in layers starting on the outside and working inward. Be sure to keep them close together to avoid holes.
- Brush your potato crust with any of the remaining liquid in your bowl.
- Bake until toasty brown, just like the photo.
- Add your pizza toppings! We started with homemade arugula pesto (bunch of arugula, 1.4 cup almonds, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 garlic clove, 1 tbsp shredded asiago); roasted chicken, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and goat cheese.
- Bake your topped pizza until warmed through and cheese is slightly browned.
- We added fresh chopped arugula and lemon rind for a bright finish. WABAM!
While we generally avoid lots of dairy during Shred, some experts say goat and hard cheeses like parm and asiago are more easily digested. That’s why this pizza featured a little of both, making it perfect for a weekend splurge. Make your own and share your toppings and ideas!