Recipe from Lavinia
6 Bell peppers (yellow, orange or red are best)
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup tomato sauce (or homemade + extra for toping)
½ medium onion, finely chopped
¼ tsp smoked paprika
½ teaspoon salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 cup water
1 cup mozzarella, shredded (optional)
MAKE IT HAPPEN
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove top of peppers,seeds and membranes; rinse peppers.
- Pour 1 cup of water into a glass baking dish, and arrange the six bell peppers so that they are standing in the water. Set the baking dish aside while you prepare the filling.
- In a skillet, cook turkey and onion (mushrooms if using) over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is brown; drain. Stir in the salt ,pepper , paprika, and garlic.
- Next add the chicken stock and the tomato sauce and combine well. Turn down the heat and add the cooked brown rice to the pan. Stir everything together and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Fill each pepper ¾ full using the rice and turkey mixture. Top them off with leftover tomato sauce if available (optional).
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil and place into the oven to bake for 45- 60 minutes.
- Once the peppers have finished cooking, uncover them and sprinkle mozzarella over each (if using). Broil for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.