Random acts of no booze and why we love it.
Across the board, Revvers are a crew of people who love to crush. As business partners, Ange and I like to challenge each other to find ways to be at our most energized, creative and resilient. We know that - generally speaking - when the cocktails flow, we’re not at the top of our game. This is why we launch our own dry-zones from time to time, and why we’re sharing this concept with you during Rebellion.
Here are our top reasons for laying off the booze.
- Health. Here’s a shocker - drinking is a leading cancer risk. We put so much work into eating and living well that cutting back and occasionally eliminating the booze is a no-brainer.
- Hangovers. Life without dehydration, headaches, 6 am cravings for strong coffee and a bacon double cheeseburgers? We don’t know anyone who wishes they had more hangovers in their life.
- Hangxiety. Putting our feet up with a cocktail at the end of the day may feel like the perfect way to quell anxiety, but the opposite is true. Inhibitions are lower so you may wake up with texters’ remorse but there’s also a lot of science to back up the hangover jitters. While the body works to metabolize your drinks, blood sugar drops, which can lead to feelings of nervousness. Sounds like a vicious circle,huh?
- Clear skin. Alcohol dehydrates us, leaving our skin looking gaunt and dry. It also causes inflammation in the body overall, which can show up on our skin as red blotchiness.
- What? Oh right, memory. Booze messes with memory to the max. Just think of all you’ll save on sticky notes.
- Useless calories. A single glass of wine has about the same calories as a slice of cake. A beer? Think pizza slice. We’d think twice before eating an entire cake, so why not look at the whole bottle with the same awareness?
- Rise and Rev! Alcohol seriously messes with sleep quality. Early morning workouts (and life in general) feel stronger and better when we’ve had a solid night of rest thanks to a booze-free evening. Energy level stays more consistent all day long.
- Results. Alcohol interferes with protein synthesis (your body’s process to build muscle), causes dehydration (hydration also imperative for muscle development), and lowers testosterone, an important hormone we all need (yes, even the ladies) in developing strength. Why put all that effort in for nothing?
We know alcohol is a personal and sometimes tough subject for a lot of people. Personally, we love sharing a quality bottle of wine or having an evening drink around the fire. Life gets stressful and sometimes having a drink feels like the best way to simply slow down and have a great conversation with the person you’re next to. That’s ok…this is just about removing it temporarily to see how we feel.
The reality is that - much like a pepperoni slice - a drink is a splurge. Since life is for living, we like to indulge sometimes. Unless you’re already a non-drinker, we challenge you to take a week booze-free, just to notice the difference and feel better empowered to choose with more awareness going forward. Creating the life and healthy body we want takes serious commitment, and this part gets easier once you feel the positive impact.